statcount

Search This Blog

Loading...

Friday, May 20, 2011

Honolulu mag new illo and first process post!

I was contacted by AD Cody Kawamoto from HONOLULU magazine for a really interesting illustration assignment. The article is about rehabilitating the troublesome wild donkeys roaming Hawaiian land and causing traffic and other problems. How often do one get to draw bad-asses? So of course I said yes.

The Final

I have been asked a lot about my process. So I thought maybe it's time to make a process post, it's actually quite straight forward and nothing magical-

The approved sketch-
I work half traditionally and half digitally. I enjoy this way of working as it allows me to create images with a wide range of media which are"incompatible" in nature. It also allows me to be really experimental with colors/texture and still able to deliver my work by the deadline safe and sound.
Usually after the sketch is approved, I go in and draw the line with pen and ink and the texture with various media like pencil, charcoal, crayon, pastel. etc


After I am done with the drawing board, I have everything scanned, composed and colored in Photoshop.




Ta-da!

The layout-

Thanks for reading!

11 comments:

  1. That looks so great! So glad you worked with Honolulu. I love working with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. FINALLY a post about process!!
    now to steal your technique.

    but really victo, love this one, especially the color. that red is bangin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks buddies!
    Mike-yes, they are really great to work with and fun projects too.
    Sam- my process is really nothing special, I have been thinking if it's even worth showing but glad you like!haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this!

    Also I didn't know you did ALL that merging with your pieces! you harmonize everything so beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow VIcto! I do a similar thing with my illustration, but you do it with much more style, I have a lot to learn. Thanks so much for posting up your process, it is how I guessed you did things, but its nice to see the details on how you go about it. You have a very original touch to your colours, textures and linework, which I am totally impressed by. I can't wait to see what other wonders you come up with as your creative career progresses!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i've seen so much of your work and am stunned anew EVERY single time! thanks for an epic post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much! I am glad you like and your comments always keep me going forward.
    Just in case you are wondering, the line and the texture were done on separated pieces of paper using LIGHT BOX. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This question is maybe tóó nosy but, your penlines, do you trace them or are they colored with another layer? :)

    A huge Belgian fan!

    X

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's great to see your process, thanks for sharing. Nice work by the way.

    ReplyDelete