statcount

Search This Blog

Loading...

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

New Op-ed Illo for NYTimes

I have a piece in the New York Times Oped today. You can read the article here.
Big thanks to AD Aviva Michaelov and Alexandra Zsigmond for the cool layout design- I really like how they place the illo at the very top so it looks like the paint is dripping down the page.
The story is about how the writer thinks the enthusiastically responded $300 house project will do more harm to urban poor than good as it neglects the dynamic and diverse needs/interest of the people.
When I first learnt about the $300 house (replacing the slums with well-build, pre-made and low-cost houses), I thought it's an ingenious idea. However, after working on this project and researching on Dharavi made me change my mind. Even though the living condition of the slum is depressing, it fascinates me how creative people are with the limited resources they have to build their homes. Generations of thoughts and effort are put into each of these houses and I don't think they are replaceable by mass-produced cubes.



5 comments:

  1. Love it! Great work as always!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really amazing! I'm in love with all of your work and as a fellow illustrator, admittedly jealous. I can't believe more people don't comment on here, but then I realized it's probably because your work leaves them speechless. You have a true talent!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Yuta :)!
    Thanks Colleen, I do hope more people would comment too and keep this blog a two ways street. I know people tend to say nice things on blogs but I can always use some constructive criticisms. So fire away!

    ReplyDelete
  4. aw man this is so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Victo, You are uniquely gifted talent.
    I'm posting this link to the 300 House Blog.

    Your thoughtful note here also illustrates 300 House Organizers and contributors the importance to make an effort to talk to the poor and draw from there.

    ReplyDelete